You may be wondering if is the Google PIxel 6 waterproof if you are considering purchasing it.
The short answer is no, the Google Pixel 6 is not waterproof.
However, it is water-resistant, which means it can withstand some exposure to water without sustaining damage.
According to Google, the Pixel 6 has an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
This means that it can withstand being submerged in water up to 1.5 meters deep for up to 30 minutes without sustaining damage.
However, it’s important to note that this rating applies to freshwater only, and exposure to other liquids may damage the phone.
While the Pixel 6 is water-resistant, it’s important to remember that this doesn’t mean it’s completely impervious to water damage.
It’s still possible for water to seep into the phone and cause damage, especially if the phone is exposed to water for an extended period of time or if it’s subjected to high-pressure water, such as from a showerhead or hose.
So while the Pixel 6 can withstand some exposure to water, it’s still important to take precautions to protect your phone from water damage.
Is The Google Pixel 6 Waterproof?
If you’re looking for a smartphone that can withstand a bit of water, you might be wondering if the Google Pixel 6 is water-resistant.
The good news is that both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro are water-resistant and have an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
Here’s what you need to know about the Pixel 6’s water resistance.
IP Rating Explained
The IP (Ingress Protection) rating is a standard used to measure a device’s resistance to dust and water.
The first digit in the rating refers to the level of protection against solid objects, while the second digit refers to the level of protection against liquids.
The Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro both have an IP68 rating, which means they are dust-tight and can withstand being submerged in up to 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.
This makes them suitable for use in most daily situations, such as taking photos at the beach or using your phone in the rain.
Design Features for Water Resistance
The Pixel 6’s water resistance is achieved through a combination of design features.
For example, the phone’s buttons are sealed to prevent water from getting inside, and the SIM card tray has a rubber gasket to keep water out.
It’s important to note that while the Pixel 6 is water-resistant, it’s not completely waterproof.
This means that you shouldn’t intentionally submerge your phone in water, as doing so could still cause damage.
In conclusion, the Google Pixel 6 is water-resistant and has an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
While it’s not completely waterproof, it should be able to withstand most daily situations where it might come into contact with water.
Pixel 6 vs. Other Smartphones
When it comes to water resistance, the Pixel 6 is on par with many other high-end smartphones.
It has an IP68 rating, which means it can withstand being submerged in up to 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.
This puts it in the same league as the Samsung Galaxy S21, iPhone 13, and other flagship phones.
However, it’s worth noting that some phones, like the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, have an even higher IP rating of IP68+.
This means they can withstand being submerged in up to 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes, just like the Pixel 6, but they can also withstand high-pressure water jets.
Previous Pixel Models Comparison
Compared to previous Pixel models, the Pixel 6 is a significant improvement in terms of water resistance.
The Pixel 5, for example, only had an IP68 rating, which means it could only withstand being submerged in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
The Pixel 6a, which is a more affordable version of the Pixel 6, also has an IP68 rating, but it can only withstand being submerged in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
Overall, the Pixel 6’s water resistance is on par with other high-end smartphones and is a significant improvement over previous Pixel models.
While it’s not completely waterproof, it should be able to withstand accidental spills and splashes without any issues.
When it comes to water resistance, it’s important to keep in mind that the Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro are water-resistant, not waterproof.
Here are some best practices and limitations to keep in mind:
Best Practices For Water Exposure
- Do not intentionally submerge your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro in water.
- While they are water-resistant, they are not designed to be submerged for extended periods of time.
- If your phone does come into contact with water, immediately dry it off with a soft cloth.
- Avoid using heat sources like hair dryers, as this can damage the phone’s internal components.
- Make sure all ports and covers are securely closed before exposing your phone to water.
- If you plan on using your phone near water, consider using a waterproof case for added protection.
Limitations of Water Resistance
It’s important to note that water resistance is not a guarantee against water damage.
While the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro are designed to withstand some exposure to water, there are limitations to their water resistance.
- The IP68 rating means that the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro can withstand being submerged in up to 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.
- However, this rating does not account for any additional pressure that may be applied to the phone while submerged.
- Water damage is not covered under the phone’s warranty, so it’s important to take precautions to protect your phone from water damage.
- The phone’s water resistance may degrade over time, especially if the phone is exposed to extreme temperatures or if the ports and covers are not properly maintained.
By following these best practices and keeping the limitations of water resistance in mind, you can help protect your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro from water damage.
Maintenance and Care
Taking care of your Google Pixel 6 is essential if you want it to last for a long time.
Here are some tips to help you maintain your phone’s water resistance and keep it in good condition.
Dealing with Water Damage
While the Pixel 6 is water-resistant, it is not completely waterproof.
If you accidentally drop your phone in water, there are a few things you can do to minimize the damage.
First, turn off your phone immediately and remove it from the water.
Do not try to turn it on or charge it until it is completely dry.
Next, remove the SIM card and any other removable parts, such as the case and screen protector.
Use a soft, absorbent cloth to dry your phone, and then place it in a dry, warm place to dry completely.
Do not use a hairdryer or other heat source to dry your phone, as this can damage the internal components.
If your phone is still not working after it has dried completely, you may need to take it to a professional for repair.
Long-Term Care Tips
To keep your Pixel 6 in good condition, there are a few things you can do on a regular basis.
First, make sure to clean your phone regularly.
Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe down the screen and body of your phone, and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials.
Second, avoid exposing your phone to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight for extended periods of time.
This can damage the battery and other internal components.
Finally, be careful when using your phone near water.
While the Pixel 6 is water-resistant, it is not completely waterproof, and exposing it to water for extended periods of time can damage the internal components.
If you do need to use your phone near water, make sure to use a waterproof case or bag to protect it.
Warranty and Support
Google’s Warranty Policy
When you buy a Google Pixel 6, it comes with a standard manufacturer’s warranty.
The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase.
If your phone has a manufacturing defect, Google will repair or replace it for free.
However, the warranty does not cover accidental damage, including water damage.
How To Claim Warranty
If you experience a problem with your Google Pixel 6 and believe it is covered by the warranty, you can file a claim with Google.
- Troubleshoot the problem: Before you file a warranty claim, try to troubleshoot the problem.
- You may be able to fix the issue on your own, or with the help of Pixel phone support.
- If you’re unable to fix the issue, proceed to the next step.
- Contact Google Support: If you’re unable to fix the problem, contact Pixel phone support.
- They will help you diagnose the issue and determine if your phone is covered by the warranty.
- File a claim: If your phone is covered by the warranty, you can file a claim with Google.
- You’ll need to provide proof of purchase and a description of the problem.
- If your claim is approved, Google will repair or replace your phone.
It’s important to note that the warranty does not cover accidental damage, including water damage.
If your phone has been damaged by water, you may be able to get it repaired by paying for the repair out of pocket.
However, if your phone is still under warranty and the water damage was caused by a defect in the phone, Google may cover the repair or replacement.
So, is the Google Pixel 6 waterproof? The answer is no, but it is water-resistant.
- Both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro come with an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
- However, it’s important to note that water resistance is not permanent and can diminish over time due to natural wear and tear or drops on a hard surface.
- To ensure that your Pixel 6 remains water-resistant, make sure that it’s sealed correctly.
- This will help prevent any dirt or debris from getting inside. Additionally, consider using a screen protector to keep your screen clean and free of scratches.
- Finally, using a case or cover for your device can also help protect it from water damage.
It’s important to note that while the Pixel 6 is water-resistant, it’s not designed to be fully submerged in water for extended periods of time.
So, while you don’t have to worry about your phone getting damaged if it gets splashed with a bit of water, you should still be cautious around bodies of water.
Overall, the Google Pixel 6 is a great smartphone with impressive features, including water resistance.
However, it’s important to take proper precautions to ensure that your device remains water-resistant and protected from potential water damage.