If you create documents for your work online, you may be wondering how to print double-sided pages on Google Docs. Printing paperwork is helpful, whether it is for publishing or for use as digital documents. You might even have come across the process of printing documents in paper form. But these days, most people use digital documents, which are easy to create and share across the globe.
However, there is some official documentation that must still be printed. And there are some traditional businesses that still save their documents in hardcopy. So, to print double-sided in Google Docs, simply use the double-sided printing option in your printer settings. And then, select whether you’d like to flip the page along its long or short side. Next, click on “Print”.
It’s important to note that businesses that print a significant amount of paper documents usually spend a high cost on paper printing. As such, printing double-sided pages are helpful in lowering these costs.
Below is the information required to print double-sided pages on Google docs. We also discuss double-sided printing with different printing.
Double-Sided or Duplex Printing
As the name suggests, double-sided or duplex printing is when you print on both sides of the paper. There is also one-sided printing available, but the advantage of Duplex is you can save a lot of costs by printing on both sides of the paper.
By using duplex printing, you are saving a lot of money on paper. And it means you’re doing business in an eco-friendly manner. The use of less paper leads to less paper waste.
Double-sided printing is used widely in the commercial space due to its ability to print double-sided things like textbooks, newspapers, and other forms of print media. They always use double-side over one-side printing.
There are printers called duplex printers, which automatically print the text on both sides of the paper. We just have to select the double-sided print option in the settings, and the printer will automatically flip the page and print out the text.
Other printers are called manual printers, which have the ability to print the text on both sides of the paper. But we must manually flip the paper to print on the other side.
Now we will discuss how you can print Google Docs documents with both printers and what settings we have to select for that. Follow the below process.
How to Print Double-Sided Pages on Google Docs Using a Duplex Printer.
You should follow the steps below if you use an automatic duplex printer for printing documents.
- Open Google Docs on your browser and log in with your Google account.
- Now you can create a new document or pick the existing one from the “Recent Documents” section where you uploaded the files.
- Click on the “File” tab located on the top-left corner of the screen in the toolbar header, as shown in the screenshot.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on the “Print” option, or you can press CTRL+P to open the print window.
- Click on “More Settings” to see the options for double-sided printing, as shown in the screenshot.
- Scroll down, and you will see “Two-Sided” just below the “Scale” option. Check the box for the print on both sides option. You will also see “Flip on long edge” or “Flip on short edge” options.
- Flip on the long edge – With this option, the printer will flip the longer edge of the paper to print the text.
- Flip on the short edge – With this setting, the printer will flip the page from the shorter edge to print the text.
- As you know, pages of every book or document come with shorter and longer edges, which means whatever option you choose, the printer will start printing the text from that side. Usually, every book you read is printed from the longer edge of the paper.
- You can also print using the system dialog:
- As you scroll down the print window, you will have a “Print using system dialog” option. Click on it, and a new window will open up.
- You can choose the printer here and change the preferences settings according to your needs: Preference > Two-sided printing.
- Also, change the “Page Range” and define the “Number of copies.”
- Since this window provides more options, you can always select between it or the Google Docs option.
- After changing the required setting, just click on the “Print” button, and the printer will print out the document.
- One advantage that Google Docs has over the system dialog is that in Google Docs, you can always preview what you’re printing.
Setting Up the Print Setting on an Automatic Duplex Printer
Before you follow the above process, you should connect your duplex printer and configure it to print double-sided documents on Google Docs. Follow the below steps to configure the printer:
- Turn on the printer and press the menu button.
- Now you have to look for the option that allows us to edit the settings for the printer. You can check out the edit configuration settings.
- Press the ok button to edit the settings menu.
- Locate the auto duplex mode for the printer. Now, to turn it on, press ok.
- Again the printer will ask you to turn on the auto duplex mode.
- Choose the “turn on” option and press ok to save the settings.
Steps to Print Double-Sided Pages on Google Docs Using a Manual Printer.
Let’s say you do not have a duplex printer, and you are using a manual printer. In this case, you’ll only have to follow one more step, as detailed below.
- Open your Google Docs document or log in with your Google account.
- Click on the “File” tab, located on the top-left corner of the screen in the toolbar header, as shown in the screenshot.
- Scroll down and select the “Print” option or press CTRL+P.
- Now the print window will open, where you will find a section for pages, and you can select the number of pages on which you want to print the text.
- To print on both sides of the paper with a manual printer, we have to print on all the odd number pages.
- Select the “Custom” option from the drop-down and then enter the odd page numbers (e.g. 1,3,5,7,9).
- Or you can select the “Odd pages only” option from the drop-down instead of Custom.
- You can also complete this process by using the system dialog.
- Click on the More Settings option in the print window.
- Scroll down and click on the “Print using system dialog” option.
- A new window will open where you can change the page range.
- Click on the “Print” button.
- All the odd pages that you selected will be printed, and now flip the pages in your printer to print on all the even pages.
- Now again:
- Open the print window again and enter all the even number pages (e.g. 2,4,6) in the Pages section. You can choose to do this in either Google Docs or the system dialog box.
- Or you can select the “Even pages only” option from the drop-down instead of Custom.
- Click on the “Print” option to print on the other side of the paper.
Whether you’re using a manual printer or a duplex printer, our above guide will ensure you’re able to print your Google Docs precisely the way you want them. Learning how to print double-sided pages on Google Docs has never been easier.
How Do I Print a Double-Sided PDF on Chrome?
When using Google Chrome, you try to print a PDF through a wireless or wired printer, but the text only gets printed on one side of the paper. If this happens, then the question is how to print text on both sides of the paper?
If you have a double-sided option in the browser settings while printing, your solution is clear. If not, the problem should be in the printer settings, which we can solve in Windows.
So, press the Windows button and then search and open the “Settings” option. Now go to Devices > Printers & Scanners > select your printer then click on the “Manage” option > Printer Properties > Device Settings > Installable options > Duplex unit > change that option from Not Installed to Installed.