Are you wondering how to insert degree symbols in Google Docs? Google Docs provides users with varieties of symbols to insert into their documents, which really helps users create written documents. Users use degree symbols for denoting temperature, arcs, angles, and more.
Learning to insert degree symbols in Google Docs is easy. You could opt to insert the symbol using the “Special Characters” option in Google Docs. There is also a keyboard shortcut for inserting a degree symbol which is slightly different on Windows, Mac, and Chromebook. Alternatively, Google Docs lets you edit your preferences on the platform to automatically replace a particular character with the symbol.
This feature of Google Docs is useful for students of science & math who use these symbols in their derivation of functions. And also when writing theory about physics and organic chemistry.
Now long story short, we are going to show you how you can insert the degree symbols in Google Docs. We discuss a couple of methods in this article for you to follow.
Ways to Insert Degree Symbols in Google Docs
#1. By Using Your Keyboard for Symbols in Google Docs
In this method, we can use the shortcut buttons on the keyboard for inserting degree symbols or just any symbols you want for instance. We have to use a keyboard to insert symbols, making it an easy and efficient way to insert symbols in your content or theoretical derivations.
To Insert the Degree Symbol With a Windows Keyboard
- Open Your Google Docs and log in with your Gmail ID.
- To insert the symbols in the particular space, just place your cursor in any blank space and click the left button. Your cursor will start blinking, which tells you that you can now insert anything from the keyboard.
- Now Press Alt +0176 or Alt+248 on the keyword to insert the degree option. At the same time, make sure to toggle on the num lock on the keyword to enable the numeric keys.
To Insert the Degree Symbol With a Mac Keyboard
- With a Mac, you have to use the key called “Option” to insert the degree symbol directly using the keyboard.
- Simply press the option+shift+8 on the keyboard.
To Insert the Degree Symbol With a Chromebook Keyboard
- In Chromebook, you can use the CTRL+Shift+U+00B0, and you will have the degree symbol inserted in the blank space.
#2. By Using the Special Character Option From Insert Menu
In this method, you have to use the special character option by clicking the “Insert” tab in the top header. Google Docs provides various types of symbols in the table. These include symbols from various languages and mathematical symbols.
You can easily search for symbols in the search bar, as shown below, and it will provide you with the required result to insert it into the document.
- Open Your Google Docs and log in with your Gmail id.
- Tap on the “Insert” tab at the top left corner of the screen in the toolbar header, and the drop-down will open.
- Click on the “Special Characters” option from the upper toolbar, and the symbols window will open as a popup where you can search for any symbol.
- Now, as you type your symbol name in the search bar, the symbols will filter and return. There will be some symbol results in the window, which you can choose.
- The other way to search for symbols is to draw a symbol on a drawing box, as you see in the screenshot. You can use the drawing method when you don’t know the name of the symbol, but you have some idea about its shape.
- As you draw some shapes in the box, results will appear according to that shape, and you can easily select the shape you want to insert.
- The third way to search for a symbol is by using the three drop-downs available on the top of the search windows.
- Categories: This allows you to choose between Category & Search results.
- Symbol: In this drop-down menu, you will have all kinds of symbols with different options in the drop-down.
- Arrow: These sections provide all types of arrows in the drop-down menu.
- Now type “degree” in the search bar and tap enter button, and searches will be presented according to the search. All the symbols you see in the screenshot below are displaced when we type “degree” in the search bar.
- After searching, put your cursor in a blank space where you want to insert the symbol.
- Simply choose the symbols from the search result to insert into the document. Degree symbols also come in varieties, so you choose from the different ones.
- Once done, click the “Cross” button to close the windows.
#3. By Using the Preferences Option
In this method, you are going to use the preference option to insert degree symbols in Google Docs. You simply want to change the preferences in Google Docs. Therefore, every time you enter or type any symbol, it will automatically get converted into a degree symbol.
With this, your efficiency of working and using the degree symbol will increase by 10. You can complete more tasks in less time because now you simply don’t have to worry about the ° symbol.
- Open Your Google Docs and log in with your Gmail id.
- Click on the “Tools” tab located in the upper toolbar header, as shown in the screenshot.
- Select the “Preferences” option from the list.
- A new window will open, where you can choose between General or Substitution.
- Click on the “Substitution” tab in the preference windows. Here you have two columns:
- Replace: Insert any symbol that you want to replace with the degree symbol.
- With: Insert the degree symbol.
- Now enter the symbol that you want to replace with the degree symbol. You can use a symbol that is not used often when you work and replace it with the degree symbol.
- For example, we have entered the letter “D” in the “Replace” box.
- To enter the degree symbol in the “With” box, copy the degree sign from the document with CTRL+C and paste it using CTRL+V in the “With” box.
- After it’s done, click on the Ok button.
Now following the above steps, whenever you type the letter “D,” it will be automatically replaced with the ° symbol.
Insert Degree Symbol In Google Docs: Conclusion
To insert the celsius degree symbol, you can use any of the above methods, like:
- You can draw a celsius symbol on the drawing box, and character windows will come with some similar symbols if drawn correctly.
- You can also type the search term “degree” in the search box, and the results will also include the celsius symbol.
- Or simply use the Keyword shortcut “ALT+0176” on a Windows device.
Any of the above methods will help you successfully insert degree symbols in Google Docs in no time.